[Marxism] Two Lessons | Louis Proyect: The Unrepentant Marxist

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Mon Dec 16 11:43:39 MST 2013

Now that I have fulfilled my obligations to New York Film Critics Online
by watching just enough Hollywood crapola to allow me to fill out a
ballot for our December 8th awards meeting, I can return to the kind of
film that really matters to me and presumably my readers. As the first
post-NYFCO awards film reviewed by me, “Two Lessons” is the perfect
example of why I would prefer a low-budget Polish language documentary
that cost perhaps $50,000 to make over something like “Gravity”.

Opening today at the Maysles Theater in Harlem, “Two Lessons” is an
exquisitely beautiful and spiritually elevated study of rural poverty in
Siberia and Argentina pivoting around director Wojciech Staron’s wife
Malgosia, who was sent by the Polish government to give Polish language
lessons to émigré communities after 1989 when nationalism took the place
of Communism. Although it is a documentary, the filmmaker whose work it
bears the closest resemblance to is that of French Catholic New Wave
narrative film director Robert Bresson, especially his “Diary of a
Country Priest”.

http://louisproyect.org/2013/12/16/two-lessons/