[Marxism] Screening Slavery » CounterPunch: Tells the Facts, Names the Names

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Fri Dec 20 11:19:20 MST 2013

Screening Slavery
by LOUIS PROYECT

In a podcast discussion between veteran film critic Armond White and two
younger film journalists focused on their differences over “12 Years a
Slave” (White, an African-American with a contrarian bent hated it),
White argued in favor of benchmarks. How could the two other discussants
rave about Steve McQueen’s film without knowing what preceded it? That
was all the motivation I needed to see the two films White deemed
superior to McQueen’s—“Beloved” and “Amistad”—as well as other films
about slavery that I had not seen before, or in the case of Gillo
Pontecorvo’s “Queimada” and Kenji Mizoguchi’s “Sansho the Bailiff” films
I had not seen in many years. This survey is not meant as a definitive
guide to all films about the “peculiar institution” but only ones that
are most familiar. Even if I characterize a film as poorly made, I still
recommend a look at all of them since as a body of work they shed light
on the complex interaction of art and politics, a topic presumably of
some interest to CounterPunch readers.

full: http://www.counterpunch.org/2013/12/20/screening-slavery/