[Marxism] question re barrel bombs

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Tue Dec 24 08:02:40 MST 2013

On 12/24/13 9:49 AM, Andrew Pollack wrote:
> But here's my question: if you have room in your plane for such weapons,
> and your goal is just to kill anything in a given wide area, what's the
> advantage of such low-tech bombs? Why not two or three of the standard
> higher firepower bombs instead of a dozen smaller ones?

Actually MIG's are not set up for such devices, only helicopters from
which they are dropped at a height too great to ensure any kind of
accuracy. It seems that rebels--probably those with good connections in
Saudi Arabia--have now got their hands on some MANPAD's. That is why
there is so much "collateral damage" as if al-Assad really cared.

The topic is examined in great deal at Brown Moses (surprise, surprise):

http://brown-moses.blogspot.com/2013/12/syrias-barrel-bomb-technology-relative.html