[Marxism] The lesser evil?

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Sat Dec 28 09:56:21 MST 2013

N.Y. Times December 27, 2013
Judge Upholds N.S.A.’s Bulk Collection of Data on Calls
By ADAM LIPTAK and MICHAEL S. SCHMIDT

WASHINGTON — A federal judge on Friday ruled that a National Security
Agency program that collects enormous troves of phone records is legal,
making the latest contribution to an extraordinary debate among courts
and a presidential review group about how to balance security and
privacy in the era of big data.

In just 11 days, the two judges and the presidential panel reached the
opposite of consensus on every significant question before them,
including the intelligence value of the program, the privacy interests
at stake and how the Constitution figures in the analysis.

The latest decision, from Judge William H. Pauley III in New York, could
not have been more different from one issued on Dec. 16 by Judge Richard
J. Leon in Washington, who ruled that the program was “almost Orwellian”
and probably unconstitutional.

The decision on Friday “is the exact opposite of Judge Leon’s in every
way, substantively and rhetorically,” said Orin S. Kerr, a law professor
at George Washington University. “It’s matter and antimatter.”

The case in New York was brought by the American Civil Liberties Union,
which said it would appeal.

(clip)

----

 From Wikipedia:

Pauley is a federal judge on the United States District Court for the
Southern District of New York. Pauley was nominated by President Bill
Clinton on May 21, 1998, to a seat vacated by Peter K. Leisure.

Leon was nominated to the United States District Court for the District
of Columbia by George W. Bush on September 10, 2001, to the seat vacated
by Norma Holloway Johnson.

----

Richard Nixon
Statement on Signing the Endangered Species Act of 1973.
December 28, 1973

I HAVE today signed S. 1983, the Endangered Species Act of 1973. At a
time when Americans are more concerned than ever with conserving our
natural resources, this legislation provides the Federal Government with
needed authority to protect an irreplaceable part of our national
heritage–threatened wildlife.

This important measure grants the Government both the authority to make
early identification of endangered species and the means to act quickly
and thoroughly to save them from extinction. It also puts into effect
the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild
Fauna and Flora signed in Washington on March 3, 1973.

Nothing is more priceless and more worthy of preservation than the rich
array of animal life with which our country has been blessed. It is a
many-faceted treasure, of value to scholars, scientists, and nature
lovers alike, and it forms a vital part of the heritage we all share as
Americans. I congratulate the 93d Congress for taking this important
step toward protecting a heritage which we hold in trust to countless
future generations of our fellow citizens. Their lives will be richer,
and America will be more beautiful in the years ahead, thanks to the
measure that I have the pleasure of signing into law today.

----

Center for Biological Diversity
August 30, 2013
PRESS RELEASE

Obama Administration Proposal Weakens Endangered Species Protections

Rule Would Relax Requirements on Federal Agencies to Carefully Account
for and Track Impacts on Nation’s Most Imperiled Species

WASHINGTON – August 30 – The Obama administration has proposed a new
rule that would scale back the requirement that federal agencies fully
track the harms inflicted on endangered species when large-scale plans
are developed and carried out on federal public lands. As a result, the
cumulative impacts on rare species from actions like oil and gas
drilling will be discounted in the decision-making process — putting
hundreds of plants and animals at greater risk of extinction. The change
is being proposed by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service and National
Marine Fisheries Service, which have repeatedly failed to track how the
projects they approve are affecting rare and vanishing species.

“America’s endangered species are already dying deaths by a thousand
cuts, because too often no one’s keeping an eye on the big picture,”
said Brett Hartl, endangered species policy director with the Center for
Biological Diversity. “This proposal will make that problem even worse.”