[Marxism] The Hunger Games and radical politics | Louis Proyect: The Unrepentant Marxist

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Sat Dec 28 13:45:46 MST 2013

 From what I’ve heard from some people on the left, the price of a
ticket for a Hunger Games flick will give you the same experience as
watching “Salt of the Earth” or the “Bicycle Thief”. I gave it a shot
last year without spending a penny. After putting on a DVD screener the
studio sent me to review for the 2012 NYFCO awards meeting, I hit the
eject button after 15 minutes or so. I guess the best thing you can say
about it was that I stayed with it longer than “Django Unchained”. What
could others see that I could not, I wondered.

Ted Glick raved: “I was surprised to find that, in addition to another
impressive performance by Lawrence, the movie was also about oppressed
people rebelling against hunger, poverty and a brutally repressive
government, and it was well done.” But then again this is the same Glick
who picked Ted Cobb over Ralph Nader in 2004.

full:
http://louisproyect.org/2013/12/28/the-hunger-games-and-radical-politics/