[Marxism] The Hunger Games and radical politics

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Sat Dec 28 15:35:55 MST 2013

On 12/28/13 5:03 PM, Ralph Johansen wrote:
> outstanding. guess I'll go now.

My guess is that you didn't read my article, only the lead in that was
posted to the list.

You question the appropriateness of the Glick support for Ted Cobb. Let
me flesh this out for you in terms of what I wrote further down in my
article:

<startquote>
There’s another reason that an audience seeing “Catching Fire” would
make few connections with American society today. Despite the moral
turpitude of its rulers and the ruling class it represents, it is a
parliamentary democracy resting on a consensus around the belief that
success is a function of your own talents and nothing else. When you
lose a job, you can get pissed off at the system but you see yourself
more as a victim of circumstance rather than a member of a social class
in specific kind of relationship to another social class that has
interests opposed to your own. Ironically, most Americans are okay with
survivor of the fittest, as long as you don’t have someone like
President Snow forcing villages to turn over a couple of kids each year
as if it was for an Aztec type human sacrifice ritual.

Bourgeois democracy is a perfect instrument for class rule. That is why
I always scratch my head over those who see fascism around the corner
when someone like Richard Nixon is in the White House. Why would you use
the iron fist to rule the workers when their open consent guarantees
systemic stability?
<endquote>

The point is that Glick opposed Nader because he and his fellow
Demogreens were afraid that he would siphon votes away from Kerry. Kerry
was seen as a lesser evil to George W. Bush who represented a fascist
threat--a version of President Snow in "Hunger Games". In other words,
Glick was pushing the moldy old CPUSA line. That, of course, why he
would find "Hunger Games" valuable. It is a model of American society
that supposedly has some bearing on current realities.

It is this way of thinking that has marginalized the left.