[Marxism] The Hunger Games and radical politics

Andrew Pollack acpollack2 at gmail.com
Sat Dec 28 15:51:23 MST 2013

I haven't seen the movies and probably won't. I read the books a couple
years ago, loved them, and don't remember any homophobic aspects. Am I
remembering wrong?

I also don't remember anything about consensus around individual success.
I do remember thinking, OK we're plopped in the middle of a class-divided
society, with almost no explanation of how we got there, but on that basis
we know who to root for, both in the games and in succeeding larger events.
(As I type this I have a feeling of deja vu as if we already had this
discussion, perhaps when the first film came out.)

So Louis's criticisms of the movies -- and those of the two authors
focusing on homophobia -- stand unchallenged. But for those who've read the
books, do I remember correctly?