[Marxism] The Making of a Radical Economist

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Sun Dec 29 07:03:13 MST 2013

THE MAKING OF A RADICAL ECONOMIST
January 2010
By Howard J. Sherman

Professor Emeritus in Economics at University of California, Riverside
And Visiting Scholar in Political Science, University of California, Los
Angeles

This article answers two questions. First, how do radical economists
develop? Second, how do radical departments develop? In order to answer
these two questions, I use my own experience in becoming a radical
economist and my own experience in developing a radical department. For
biographies – and some autobiographies – of many radical economists, see
the excellent collection on “dissenting economists” by Sawyer and
Arestis, 1982. Their biographies show that the development of radical
economists is affected by their political-economic and personal
environment, but also by the intellectual environment provided by past
economic ideas and by their teachers.

My father went bankrupt in the Great Depression. I heard a great deal
about this fact and the horrors of the depression as I grew up. So I
resolved to understand why depressions occur and how to get rid of them
– and about half my research has been on this subject (see, e.g.
Sherman, 1991, 2003). But being a radical is more than having a concern
about such issues as depressions. When I studied economics, I found that
neoclassical economists believed that the system worked well; it was
merely subject to external shocks. Since the Great Depression revealed
dramatically the instability of the system, since recessions keep
occurring, and since all of them have many similar sequences of cause
and effect, I rejected the neoclassical paradigm of a perfectly
functioning system as an apologetic argument to protect vested interests
in the system. My own research has therefore concentrated on the
internal processes of the business.

full:
http://works.bepress.com/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1027&context=howard_j_sherman