[Marxism] Paul Le Blanc on the SWP crisis

DW dwaltersmia at gmail.com
Fri Feb 1 11:08:58 MST 2013

Manuel, I agree with much of what you wrote. This peaked my interest:

"To be fair, I do believe that ISO, as one
example, is indeed “creative” although I would not consider them all
that flexible."

My assessment as well. Interestingly, if you do careful reading of
LeBlanc's book, you see that one of the main problems with the
Bolshevik faction of the RDSLP and the Bolshevik PARTY after 1912, is
precisely the issue flexibility in tactics. IT is a constant running
theme for the Bolsheviks from 1905 onward upt o and including 1917
(and beyond in many cases). The whole "Committeemen"
discussions/debates in and after 1905 is an example of this. The idea
that the nascent trade union movement should *not* be supported unless
they had RSDLP leadership (as advocated by the committed cadre of the
"Committeemen") was one of these debates over flexibility...and what
we would call abstentionism and sectarianism.

One finds, for instance, a general theme of complete inflexibility
with regards to the organization of non-Russians into the RSDLP
outside of the metropolitan areas of St. Petersburg/Petrograd and
Moscow. I raise this because if is the one area that no one really has
studied carefully, not LeBlanc, not Lih and not Pham.

David