[Marxism] unity on the left in Australia

Tom O'Lincoln suarsos at alphalink.com.au
Tue Feb 5 00:13:01 MST 2013

Nick wrote

Well I hope you've always had *some* kind of reality check John : ) But it's
not just me, but also Corey Oakley who has claimed that SAlt has relatively
recently consolidated a layer of youngish but experienced cadres, "a huge
change from where we were eight years ago"

This is undeniable fact. When I joined the group a decade or so ago it  was
quite obviously a student group. Now it has a far larger cadre and a
sprinkling of trade unionists. One would hope this results in some maturing
feedback, but I agree with John that we were pretty level-headed before
that. The trade unionists in Melbourne are mostly in my branch, and I
haven't noticed a cultural revolution, rather steady growth.

As for "dropping state cap", anyone who thinks I've dropped it should  look
at the final article in the new issue of the journal MLR, which traces the
emergence of capital from the state structures in early NSW.  I suggested
that agreement with this should be a membership requirement, but so far no
reply from the editors.