[Marxism] unity on the left in Australia

Nick Fredman nick.fredman at optusnet.com.au
Tue Feb 5 05:05:56 MST 2013

On 5/02/13 8:30 PM, "Tom O'Lincoln" <suarsos at alphalink.com.au> wrote:

> Welll it's not me who keeps bringing up Cuba in the context of Australian
> left  unity. It's a concern of people from your tradition.

I think you're quite wrong or greatly exaggerating there Tom. Besides the
official correspondence I've seen dozens of discussions on Facebook and
elists and participated in many, and Cuba has barely been mentioned, apart
from considerable concern expressed months ago after the initial
announcement of the SAlt-RSP fusion process by two former members of the
RSP. The real topics of discussion have been how to express a program for
Australia today, women's liberation, the environment movement, the role of
elections, Reclaim the Night rallies and other directly relevant things.

I think though you get my point that what has been dropped is a membership
requirement to accept the theory of state capitalism as the public position
of the organisation, as it's been removed by a large conference majority
vote from the public position of the organisation.

Of course this is quite different from individuals agreeing with or having
any other opinion on it, and expressing it. Whether on Cuba today or the
USSR in the past, discussions about this can be quite educational: much more
so if different points of view are expressed. It's quite bizarre though if
John Passant and others still think anything substantial can be built on the
basis of agreement with state capitalism, or that state capitalist theory is
a necessary pre-condition for a basically correct orientation to the class
struggle.