[Marxism] Back in the USSR

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Tue Feb 5 10:39:49 MST 2013

On 2/5/13 12:25 PM, Ken Hiebert wrote:
> Ken Hiebert responds: If I am reading you correctly, the problem with
> Leninist groups has been not simply that they have tried to apply a
> political strategy that they misunderstood.  In some instances it is
> because they have tried to apply a mistaken strategy that was
> advocated by the leaders of the Russian revolution .

Exactly.

Paul Le Blanc argues that Lenin created a new kind of party but this was
not something that happened either in 1903 or in 1912. It happened after
1917 and it was a disaster. Lenin approved the expulsion of Paul Levi
under the norms of "democratic centralism". As understood in 1921, this
meant that the central committee of all Comintern parties was not in
their respective countries but in Russia. When Levi was removed for
going public over his objections to the dead end ultraleftism of Bela
Kuhn, the Comintern's man forced on the German party, the German party
was left in the hands of mediocrities all to willing to act on dictates
set down by Comintern leaders, including Trotsky who insisted that a
revolution in Germany be timed to coincide with the anniversary of the
Russian Revolution. Awful, simply awful.