[Marxism] The lure of Keynesianism

Nick Fredman nick.fredman at optusnet.com.au
Thu Feb 7 17:39:05 MST 2013

On 8/02/13 11:04 AM, "Louis Proyect" <lnp3 at panix.com> wrote:

> Here's the Australian Paul Krugman but not half as smart:
>
> http://johnquiggin.com/
>
> No, make that not a tenth as smart.

Maybe but in terms of Krugmanesque media profile Quiggin was purged from the
Australian Financial Review (hardly a high profile organ anyway), nearly a
year ago, as part of that paper's lurch to a more activist neo-liberalism
(it used to be a bit leftish). The extent of this right turn is indicated by
the humorous claim that Quiggin was an "unedited blogger of Green Left
Weekly polemics", GLW for some time being a mass media pundit metonym for
extreme leftism.
<http://www.crikey.com.au/2012/04/03/fin-reviews-ideological-battle-quiggin-
boned-from-op-ed-pages/>

The AFR kept the sub-literate ex-Labor leader Mark Latham for whom
Keynesianism would be a massive political advance.

Now the only real Keynesian social democrat with a media perch is I think
Ken Davidson: "He remains a committed Keynesian and opponent of economic
rationalism. In his spare time he is co-editor of Dissent magazine"
<http://www.theage.com.au/opinion/by/kenneth-davidson>. His profile is quite
small, a weekly column and I've never seen him on the telly. All of which
which shows how pathetically narrow our corporate media has become.