[Marxism] SWP faction declared

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Fri Feb 8 09:52:38 MST 2013

On 2/8/13 11:42 AM, DW wrote:
> Louis, the problem is, you suck at changing the goal posts. While you
> may or may not be correct about "Sam Farber" (I agree with you here,
> but this is not the point), Shane's comment, the one you do not want
> to address and, because you have no response to him you dredge up his
> Spart past from, say, what is now...45 years ago when he left
> them...was that the Cuban Communist Party bans factions.

The Cuban CP does not have factions but that does not mean that there
are not fierce debates. That will naturally be the case when you have a
ruling party. There are obviously "modernizers" who want to emulate
China and then there is an old guard resisting that move.

The idiotic Leninist left enshrines the right to factions in their
idiotic constitutions but once you form one you get expelled. That is
the reality of the sectarian left.

Additionally, factions only get formed in deep crisis because in
"normal" times there is so much peer pressure in the sect that it takes
enormous self-confidence to get up and say that something was wrong.
When I got up at NYC local meeting in 1978 to announce that I was
transferring to K.C. to go into industry because of all the
"opportunities", I was saying something I did not believe. In the
Stalinist world, people do things like that because you might go to
prison for telling the truth. In the sect world, you do it because you
don't want to be shunned.