[Marxism] SWP faction declared

Shane Mage shmage at pipeline.com
Fri Feb 8 09:57:43 MST 2013

On Feb 8, 2013, at 11:00 AM, Louis Proyect wrote:

> On 2/8/13 10:50 AM, Shane Mage wrote:
>> Obviously more qualified then ever now that he has taken up arms
>> against
>> sexism in his own party.
>>
>> And likewise more qualified than ever to lecture us about the
>> antidemocratic prohibition of factions within the Cuban State
>> ("Communist") Party.
>>

> For comrades new to the list, Shane was part of a faction in the
> American SWP that was formed in the early 60s on the basis of
> opposition to the party's recognition that a revolution had taken
> place in Cuba.

Young Louis was (and apparently still is) too young to know it at the
time, but absolutely nobody ever after Jan. 1, 1959 denied that a
revolution had taken place in Cuba.  Instead, he let his innocence be
abused by the party hacks who had improperly expelled me for falsely
alleged (and merely by association) "indiscipline"  and swallowed the
lie that I had denied the existence of a Cuban revolution. What I then
denied, and do so to this day, is that a *proletarian* revolution ever
took place in Cuba.  The absence of democratic proletarian
institutions and the incipient centralization of power in a
bureaucratic structure modeled on the CPSU were then the grounds for
my position. It was definitively confirmed when the President of Cuba,
without a single word of dissent allowed to appear on the island,
endorsed the counterrevolutionary Stalinist invasion of Czechoslovakia
in 1968--a disgrace for which Louis and a whole congeries of ex-SWPers
continue to this day to offer apologetics. And continue to support the
sort of bureaucratic regime in the Cuban Party that they rightly
object to in the (somewhat less undemocratic) SWPs.

Shane Mage

"Thunderbolt steers all things." Herakleitos of Ephesos, fr. 64