[Marxism] SWP Faction

Einde O'Callaghan eindeoc at freenet.de
Fri Feb 8 17:25:02 MST 2013

On 08.02.2013 20:58, Andy Bain wrote:

> Surely, this faction is 'illegal' from the CC's point of view?
> Are they trying to provoke the full timers into expelling them?

Section 10 of the SWP's constitution - the section dealing with
factional rights - doesn't say that factions are limited to the
pre-conference discussion period - here is the text:

"If a group of party members disagrees with a specific party policy, or
a decision taken by a leading committee of the party, they may form a
faction by producing a joint statement signed by at least 30 members of
the party.
A faction will be given reasonable facilities to argue its point of view
and distribute its documents. These must be circulated through the
National Office, to ensure that all members have the chance to consider
them.
Debate continues until the party at a Special or Annual Conference
reaches a decision on the disputed question. Permanent or secret
factions are not allowed."

The three months period is referred to in section 4, which deals with
the party conference. this is the relevant passage:

"Three months before each Conference the Central Committee opens a
special pre-conference discussion in the organisation. Members are
invited to contribute written discussion documents for internal
circulation during this period. During the pre-conference period,
district aggregates are held where CC members present members with a
review of the previous year and an outline of party perspectives. These
open meetings give all members the chance to discuss party work, raise
questions and points of disagreement and collectively assess the party’s
development."

Considering the number of prominent long-standing party members who've
signed the faction document, I suspect that expulsions are not on the
cards now, whatever may have been the case earlier in the week.

Einde O'Callaghan