[Marxism] left-progressive historians under attack

Jeff Goodwin jgoodwin.nyu at gmail.com
Sat Feb 9 13:16:12 MST 2013

The execrable Sean Wilentz has written a predictably harsh review of Stone
and Kuznick's *The Untold History of the United States*:
http://www.nybooks.com/articles/archives/2013/feb/21/oliver-stone-cherry-picking-our-history/

I must say that I do agree with Wilentz that Stone & Kuznick's adoration
for Henry Wallace (not to mention JFK) is misplaced, but the review as a
whole misses the forest for a few stunted trees. Wilentz is a historian-cop
who spends a lot of time on the beat these days, policing the boundaries of
acceptable historical knowledge for liberal Democrats.

Meanwhile, Howard Zinn's work, which Wilentz loves to disparage, has come
under attack by Sam Wineberg, a Stanford professor, in the pages of
the *American
Educator*, which is published by the American Federation of Teachers (AFT):
https://www.aft.org/pdfs/americaneducator/winter1213/Wineburg.pdf