[Marxism] left-progressive historians under attack

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Sat Feb 9 15:35:15 MST 2013

On 2/9/13 5:21 PM, Mark Lause wrote:
> It is also true that, as one might suspect from the emphasis of
> Stone's film-making, the emphasis is very heavy on the presidency and
> the personalities of the presidents.  Still, given the central role of
> the presidency in shaping America's role in the world, it isn't
> entirely irrelevant.

Although I had toyed with the idea of writing a book on something or
other after I retired, now that I have reached that point, the idea
seems less and less attractive. I really like the give-and-take of
blogging and hope to find even more time for videos.

But there's one idea that continues to intrigue me. That's a survey of
American presidents going back to Washington, with no more than 4 or 5
pages on each one, obviously in the same vein as Zinn and
Stone/Kuzenick. (But obviously much more aligned with Zinn when it comes
to FDR and JFK.) This is the kind of book that would be of use to high
school students with 'tude.

But the format...

There was a book that came out in the mid-80s that is probably out of
print now. It contained profiles on the greats of rock and roll but was
not reverential--in fact often quite impudent. It included a graphic for
each star, usually depicting them in some compromised situation. A
bloated Elvis, Jerry Lee Lewis and his child bride, etc. I can see it
now. JFK with Marilyn. Thomas Jefferson having his way with Sally
Hemming, etc.