[Marxism] Marxism Digest, Vol 112, Issue 21

Karen Saunders karenfransdottir at gmail.com
Sat Feb 9 19:33:36 MST 2013

Mark Lause wrote:
And the lesser evils among the presidents who owned other people was
determined by who owned the least number of other people? Or who owned
the other people less poorly than their rivals who owned other people?

I'm not sure of your point here, but Bob Peterson's lesson came about
as a result of a question that one of his students asked, "Which
presidents were slave owners?"  As students researched, they compared
their findings with their textbook's information about the presidents
(and with the info about presidents on "kid-friendly" websites).

While it's not historical materialism, it's good critical analysis.
With a little tweaking, this activity gave me and my students the
opportunity to explore some of the same ideas about causes of the
civil war  that were discussed here on Marxmail a few years ago.

Karen