[Marxism] Toeing the line

Wythe Holt jr. wholt at law.ua.edu
Sun Feb 10 18:27:34 MST 2013

Wythe Holt

>From George Orwell's essay on Kipling:
All left-wing parties in the highly industrialized countries are at bottom a sham, because they make it their business to fight against something which they do not really wish to destroy. They have internationalist aims, and at the same time they struggle to keep up a standard of life with which those aims are incompatible.  We all live by robbing Asiatic coolies, and those of us who are 'enlightened' all maintain that those coolies ought to be set free; but our standard of living and hence our 'enlightenment,' demands that the robbery shall continue.

>From Edward Dowling, editor and priest, Chicago Daily News, July 28, 1941:
The two greatest obstacles to democracy in the United States are, first,
the widespread delusion among the poor that we have a democracy, and second,
the chronic terror among the rich, lest we get it.

"toeing" is correct.  Not that this is a major point.