[Marxism] Cultures of Finance Summer Institute: The Wealth of Society: A Politics For Derivatives

Sean Andrews cultstud76 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 12 10:53:20 MST 2013

I don't know exactly what they will be doing, but LiPuma and Lee's book on
Derivatives is pretty smart and very concrete. It is not a screed by any
means and I confess I learned a great deal about how they work (and why
they are necessary). Not as good as Bryan and Rafferty, but still.

Martin is a wild card, but has several solid books on financialization and
risk; and Bob Miester is no slouch.

http://rethinkingcapitalism.ucsc.edu/about-3

Appadurai is my only concern - I've never quite understood why he's seen as
so insightful - definitely a primary candidate for wallowing in a fantasy
world.

In any case I wouldn't call all anthropologists and sociologists
"bourgeois" per se. A lot can be gleaned from ethnographic research and
there are plenty of radical sociologists out there. And while the course
has a narrow focus (derivatives seem central) that is how a complex social
totality must be approached: abstracted piece by piece and then brought
back into conversation with the whole.

Thanks for pointing it out.

sean