[Marxism] Egypt's Black Bloc Doesn't Want to Be Your Friend

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Thu Feb 14 06:45:14 MST 2013

On 2/14/13 8:31 AM, Daniel Rocha wrote:
> That's a start, isn't it? The use of violence without the promises of
> democracy, or a bourgeoisie revolution,  is an important step to break away
> with bourgeoisie morals. Without violence at some point, bringing the
> social power is an utopia to bring power even to an organized movement.
> We've seen plenty of seeds for organization for 2 years, but its been
> mostly an oversized Occupy movement.
>
> The red/black terror must start at some point and gradually mix with the
> labor movement.

Daniel, I don't know how to break the news to you but nothing that you
have written above betrays the slightest familiarity with Marxist
politics. It sounds like an admixture of your own confused ideas about
what Marxism stands for and an excerpt from a paper on Sorel delivered
to a Modern Language Association conference.

The October 1917 revolution in Russia took place with less violence than
what typically occurs over the weekend in Rio de Janeiro or Chicago.
Firebombing a Muslim Brotherhood office is easy. What is difficult is
building a political alternative to it, a worker's party in Egypt. That
takes brains, not testosterone.