[Marxism] The sea cruise to hell

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Fri Feb 15 12:13:45 MST 2013

As the sewage-laden Carnival Cruise ship staggered into Mobile, Alabama
last night, the mainstream media has begun to analyze what went wrong.
Almost every point is made, except the crucial one: corporate greed is
what made this the cruise from hell.

When I was very young I looked forward to visits to New York City,
especially the drive along the West Side Highway. Back then steamship
cruises were still popular and our family would “ooh” and “aah” at the
sight of the Queen Elizabeth, one of the most beautiful ships ever made.

Today it is impossible to distinguish one cruise ship from another,
especially those that fly under the Carnival Cruise banner. Heavily
advertised on television, the company markets to working class people,
those who never would have booked a trip on the Queen Elizabeth. Indeed,
the audience for the ads is the same as it is for the time-share resorts
sold by David Siegel through Westgate, incorporated. In the documentary
“Queen of Versailles”, which is focused on Siegel’s wife Jackie as she
tries to adjust to a more modest life-style after the prime mortgage
crash knocks Westgate on its ass, you can see couples being shown around
a Siegel property in Las Vegas that has the cheap and gaudy allure of a
Carnival Cruise liner.

Carnival Cruise’s CEO is Micky Arison, who lives in Florida like David
Siegel and shares his Jewish ethnicity. He also owns the Miami Heat, the
championship basketball team led by Lebron James.

full: http://louisproyect.wordpress.com/2013/02/15/the-sea-cruise-to-hell/