[Marxism] Marx Was a Neuroscientist

Ben Campbell neurodialectics at gmail.com
Mon Feb 18 13:41:11 MST 2013

Manuel, I agree with your general sentiment — of course everything is done
for profit, and of course medical benefits rarely seem to "trickle down" to
the working class. But rarely does not mean never, and science has to be
considered globally — medical advances do aid the working class to a
greater extent in the remaining European welfare states. Second, scientists
and engineers are workers themselves, so the capitalist government
supporting them in doing something reasonably interesting and
non-destructive is something that should be supported. Third, my interest
in neuroscience is largely driven by basic scientific curiosity, and this
basic knowledge is one thing that science has generally given to much of
humanity (although there are obvious accessibility issues).

Finally, neuroscience is a long-term project. This type of basic research
will lay the groundwork for significant medical advances in 30-40 years —
by the dictatorship of the proletariat :)