[Marxism] Day of the People: Gracchus Babeuf and the Communist Idea

Alan Bradley alanb1000 at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 21 19:09:48 MST 2013

From: Mark Lause
> The whole continuity issue is actually very complex. Please define what that means?

A little beyond my academic capabilities, but I'll try to approach it indirectly.

Why did Marx write:
"A spectre is haunting Europe — the spectre of communism. All the powers of old Europe have entered into a holy alliance to exorcise this spectre: Pope and Tsar, Metternich and Guizot, French Radicals and German police-spies.

Where is the party in opposition that has not been decried as communistic by its opponents in power? Where is the opposition that has not hurled back the branding reproach of communism, against the more advanced opposition parties, as well as against its reactionary adversaries?

Two things result from this fact:

I. Communism is already acknowledged by all European powers to be itself a power.

II. It is high time that Communists should openly, in the face of the whole world, publish their views, their aims, their tendencies, and meet this nursery tale of the Spectre of Communism with a manifesto of the party itself.

To this end, Communists of various nationalities have assembled in London and sketched the following manifesto, to be published in the English, French, German, Italian, Flemish and Danish languages."

Who were these "Communists of various nationalities"? (And what other such Communists didn't assemble in London?) Where did they come from? What was their history?

Of course their history was a mess and a blob that makes the current left look coherent, but there are direct influences from people like Buonarotti - a collaborator of Babeuf, and a major influence on Blanqui.

There's no such direct connection from Winstanley.