[Marxism] Day of the People: Gracchus Babeuf and the Communist Idea

Alan Bradley alanb1000 at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 22 13:26:30 MST 2013

From: Mark Lause
> The connection between Marx and Engels and the Blanquists isn't the
> issue, but that association between the Blanquists and Babeuf is a
> different matter, hanging largely by the singular personal thread of
> our old hero Buonarroti . . . and that amorphous and whispy web of
> ideas and ideology. My point was that similar arguments could be
> made for continuities from the radicals of the English Revolution
> through the republicans of the 1790s to the Chartists.

Babeuf and the Blanquists were still within a single human lifespan of each other. The memory of the French Revolution was still alive when what Engels happily called "worker-Communism" emerged. The memory and inspiration was definitely there.

On the other hand, only the oldest of us remember when Trotsky was alive, let alone Lenin.

Let's play Relative Time Scales: if this year was 1843, Babeuf would have been executed in what equates to 1967. The same year as a certain Argentinian revolutionary....