[Marxism] "Slavery in All But Name" - Jeffrey B. Perry

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Sun Feb 24 08:54:58 MST 2013

On 2/24/13 10:10 AM, Mark Lause wrote:

> There should be no American exceptionalism in any of this.  The
> English Revolution, the French Revolution led to similar results
> through process that were every bit as tainted in motives and
> outcomes.

Down the road I hope to review Neil Davidson's "How Revolutionary were
the Bourgeois Revolutions?" but provisionally I can say that there has
been some theoretical confusion over this from the beginning rooted in
the Communist Manifesto's depiction of a revolutionary bourgeoisie.
There has been a tendency to conflate the revolutionizing of the means
of production with the creation of a free market and free labor within
market relations. This demonstrates a certain affinity with the
ideologists of the bourgeois revolution whose hopes for a free society
colored the perceptions of Marx and Engels, as well as Lenin for that
matter. In a 1918 article Lenin draws a distinction between the "from
above" Junkers bourgeois revolution in Germany and the "from below"
American Civil War. In reality, the outcome was the same: a preservation
of feudal-like conditions in the countryside. This is what Arno Mayer
characterized as "The Persistence of the Ancien Regime". You had the
same thing in rural Germany (a hotbed for Hitlerism) and the Jim Crow south.

Lenin: