[Marxism] Marshall Sahlins resignation

Daniel Koechlin d.koechlin at wanadoo.fr
Mon Feb 25 15:18:43 MST 2013

Is this the same Marshall Sahlins that wrote Stone Age Economics? Who
wrote that Hunter-Gatherers spend less time procuring food than do
agriculturalists and citizens of modern industrialized nations. I
remember his book well. Your typical hunter-gatherer male will spend
four hours a day hunting and his female counterpart five hours a day
foraging. And even this "work" is actually broken up into periods of
intense activity and periods of "chatting". "Non-productive social
interaction"  actualy accounts for the majority of a hunter-gatherer's
day, together with sleeping (naps are very long, and can typically last
three hours after lunch depending on the amount of carbo-hydrates ingested).

I remember reading "Stone Age Economics" and thinking how different the
picture of Hunter-Gatherer societies that was painted therein was from
the usual claim that the life of primitive men was "short, brutish and
hard".

So let's all abandon civilization and go and live in the woods, I
thought. The bare necessities of life will come to you in the form of
ripe fruit and tubers from the edible flora and the abundant fish from
the streams. And then I realized that living in harmony with nature was
OK if you were a 6th centurd AD Chinese Daoist aristocrat who cold
practise "WuWei" Calligraphy and poetry while rusticating in his family
manor, or a modern "eco-tourist" wandering off the beaten track through
the jungles of South America and sharing her breathtakingly beautiful
photos on facebook, but that fundamentally, Hunter-Gatherer societies
were replaced by Agro/Pastoral ones because the latter could produce
more food and more kids, and therefore a more centralized social structure.

But if it's the same Marshall Sahlins, the guy must be as old as Levi
Strauss (a great friend of his BTW) was when he died : 101 !

If the proof of the pudding is in the eating, then the fact that these
anthropologists can reach such an advanced age and still remain alert is
evidence of the beneficial effects of spending extended periods of time
as far away from modern society as possible. I remember watching Levi
Strauss at the age of 100 on French TV lambasting the government and
answering questions from journalists about current events with the
agility of mind of a 20 year old.

Of course, Levi Strauss's anthropolgy, his so-called "structuralism",
was the product of a brain well versed in Hegel, Marx and Freud.
According to Levi Strauss, Totemism is a misnomour, Shamanism as well,
Animism can mean anything you want it to mean.. Yet .... Those are more
than a simple "ideology", those are instances of a mode of mental
conceptualization akin to that of the modern DIY enthusiast (Levi's own
analogy) .. This element can be used to achieve a certain result, that
other element does not fit in well, I'll leave it aside for next time...
Personal experimentation is as important if not more important than
general principles. You can achieve good results by combining elements
in accordance with the underlying structure , but it is often more
expedient to identify the general source of the problem by breaking the
rules and seeing what happens... The "scientific method" is maybe, and
paradoxically, a return to "Totemism" (in Strauss's meaning :  a
cosmological explanation of the origin of the plurality) in the manner
of conceptualizing the world against the prevailing Aquinist synthesis
of Christianity and Aristotle.

Claude Levi Strauss's Complete Works (La Pléiade) were last year's
Christmas present and I only read a fraction of them. His explanation of
how cosmological myths, culinary practices and family organization all
formed a coherent structure for each tribe nevertheless begged a few
questions concerning our own, Western, civilization. Why do we consider
eating with others as superior to eating alone ? Why do we find regular
events (meal times) reassuring ? Why do we associate regularity and
predictability with human society ? Why do we frame all our pictures in
rectangles and why are all our TV and computer screens rectangular ? Why
are our houses rectangular ? Why do we consider our bedrooms as the most
sacred part of our dwellings ? Why do we keep our passport and our
jewelry in our bedroom ? Why do we assume that a father and a mother
must sleep in the same room ? Why do we not eat insects or wild tubers ?
Why do we eat out of individual circular plates ? Why do we trust what
we see more than what we hear (in some societies it's the other way
round) ? Why do we prefer reading and watching videos to listening to
stories ?

The Capitalist mode of production and the class division of society that
it creates produces our way of life and is also modified by our
collective behaviour. The Structuralism and Semiotics of the 1970s
endeavoured to expand Marxist theory and method to examine contemporary
society and bring out more levels of sexual, symbolical and
anthropological meaning.