[Marxism] I hear from Survival International

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Tue Feb 26 09:39:15 MST 2013

director at survivalinternational.org

URL 	http://www.survivalinternational.org/news/8997

Comment 	Survival International has compiled a list of materials from
experts, anthropologists and the Yanomami themselves on the Chagnon
debate, and how Chagnon's work has been disastrous for the tribe. Visit
http://www.survivalinternational.org//articles/3272 for statements from
Davi Yanomami, Eduardo Viveiros de Castro, Philippe Descola and Manuela
Carneiro, and an open letter signed by over a dozen anthropologists who
have worked for years with the Yanomami. They 'disagree with Napoleon
Chagnon's public characterisation of the Yanomami as a fierce, violent
and archaic people. [and] deplore how Chagnon's work has been used
throughout the years - and could still be used - by governments to deny
the Yanomami their land and cultural rights.'

---

There's a certain closing of the circle in receiving this communication
on my blog.

Back in 1996 I stumbled across a glossy magazine called "Living Marxism"
at a bookstore near Columbia University. Most of it seemed innocuous
enough if a bit quirky.

But what really got under my skin was an article that blasted Survival
International for trying to "preserve the Yanomami in amber" like one of
those dioramas at the Museum of Natural History. What little I knew
about Survival at the time was its advocacy of the right of Indians to
determine their own destiny, including the right to have access to
shotguns, steel axes, outboard motors, or whatever helped guarantee
their survival. The issue was not being preserved like a fossil but
being protected against the onslaught of gold miners, ranchers and
timber companies.

This was my first exposure to the problems that Marxism had with
indigenous peoples and a search for another approach that led me to
become engaged with Mariatequi's writings. All of this is recorded here:

http://www.columbia.edu/%7Elnp3/mydocs/myindian.htm