[Marxism] Another brick in the wall | Soviet Goon Boy

DCQ davecq at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 27 10:29:28 MST 2013

Actually, I find the attempt to find some *class* basis for the struggle in the SWP extremely unhelpful (aside from the narrow but important role of the full-timers and the party-as-(actual/potential)-employer). There are teachers and lecturers on both sides, and the baiting of teachers as middle-class and privileged is as insulting in Britain as it is in the US.

The struggle in the SWP is about theory (women's oppression, Leninism), perspectives (what is the real state of "things"), strategy/tactics (how do we relate to the movements and others generally), and organization (what kind of organization can best do this). And they are all related and intertwined.

SGB does make a few good points though, namely the fact that because of Google, the SWP will forever be linked with a rape cover-up case *unless* the iDoop faction wins and a clear break is made (and for a variety of reasons, I think if they do, then renaming the group is something they should consider seriously).

As I've said before, whoever wins, the SWP as we have known it is done--rightly or wrongly, fairly or unfairly. If the CC wins, who will dare bring up any issue of internal democracy in the foreseeable future? And without a vibrant internal democracy, any group claiming to be Leninist is done for. A group called the SWP may linger for years, but it will be a terminal cancer patient. If the faction wins though, everything is possible.

Soli,
DCQ