[Marxism] Fwd: 'Noble Savages': Chagnon's new book triggers resignation and protests

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Thu Feb 28 11:00:43 MST 2013

Dear Louis,

My name is Sarah Gilbertz and I work for Survival International, a
tribal rights organization. I saw that you wrote about Napoleon Chagnon
<http://louisproyect.wordpress.com/2013/02/20/what-the-press-is-saying-about-napoleon-chagnon/>
and his new book 'Noble Savages' and I thought you might be interested
in our latest Press Release.

Not only has Marshall Sahlins, 'the world's most respect anthropologist
alive today' resigned from the  Academy of Sciences but a large group of
anthropologists specializing in the Brazilian and Venezuelan Yanomami
have issued a joint statement condemning Chagnon's work:

http://assets.survivalinternational.org/documents/891/2-2013-anthropologists-letter.pdf

The Yanomami themselves have spoken out about Chagnon who has described
them as ‘sly, aggressive and intimidating’, and claimed they ‘live in a
state of chronic warfare’. Chagnon's work has also had damaging
consequences for the rights of the Yanomami.

Below I'm sending our press release which includes a statement by Davi
Kopenawa, a spokesman for the Yanomami and President of a Yanomami
association.

Survival International has compiled a list of materials on the Chagnon
debate:

http://www.survivalinternational.org//articles/3272-brutal-savage-myth

Please get in touch if you are interested in covering this or if you
have any questions.

Best wishes,
Sarah

Sarah Gilbertz