[Marxism] Query on Nazism

Thomas Bias tgbias at ptd.net
Mon Jan 7 16:30:01 MST 2013

I was a student at Amherst College from 1967 to 1971, and junior year I had
a European history professor named John Ratté. He made the case that the New
Deal was modeled after fascism. I thought at the time that he was off the
wall, but the more I understand about Hitler's policies toward the working
class, especially corporatism, the more I've come to appreciate what
Professor Ratté had to say. Hitler gave privileges to a section of the
working class, skilled workers of the Christian religion ("Aryans"), such as
their own little houses, a "People's Car" in each driveway, health benefits,
etc., and rather than destroying their unions, he incorporated them into the
government (corporatism). The U.S. didn't FORMALLY incorporate the unions
into the government, but Roosevelt's and his successors' policies certainly
had a lot in common with corporatism; of course, the promotion of home
ownership in the working class, and the resulting debt slavery, was a major
factor in the smothering of class struggle militancy in the period after the
Second World War. The promotion by Roosevelt himself, not to mention his
successors, of mindless patriotism was also drawn from the methods of
fascism. I don't subscribe to the notion that we are living under fascism or
anything of the kind, but it is clear to me that the U.S. ruling class and
its politicians from Roosevelt on out have borrowed from Hitler's and
Mussolini's playbooks. ~Tom