[Marxism] Re Tarantino Flunks American History

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Sun Jan 13 12:42:36 MST 2013

On 1/13/13 2:02 PM, Chris gauvreau wrote:

> Comrades,
>
> It was a blue suit because that is the costume of the minstrel show
> character Jim Dandy.  You know--Jim Dandy, Jim Crow, etc.! Tarantino
> used a cast of stereotypes and costumes (Sapphire ring a bell?) based
> on the minstrel show to populate his film.  The visual  literacy
> skills need a little work here.
>
> In solidarity Chris

This is nonsense.

Nobody who was watching this idiotic movie has a clue who Jim Dandy is,
starting with me. More to the point, minstrel shows were about white
people wearing blackface--like Al Jolson in "The Jazz Singer". If this
was QT's intention, then that's another reason to ignore this garbage film.