[Marxism] SWP's zigzags over women's oppression

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Thu Jan 17 14:10:54 MST 2013

On 1/17/13 4:00 PM, Jim Moody wrote:

> Its Central Committee claims that the SWP has a consistent record of fighting for women's liberation.
> Former national committee member Dave Isaacson sheds light on the not so excellent truth:
>
> http://www.cpgb.org.uk/home/weekly-worker/945/swp-and-women-countless-zigs-and-zags-over-womens-oppression

I am probably going to be commenting on all this at some point but only
want to say something about the CPGB focus on the SWP. In many ways, it
reminds me of the American Trotskyist movement's obsession with the
CPUSA in the 1930s and 40s when the Stalinists enjoyed hegemony on the
left. The Militant newspaper did not go by for a week without some
article calling attention to CP perfidy. There is something about this
kind of mindset that puts me off nowadays. I check in on the CPGB
newspaper each week, usually looking for something by Lars Lih, but
frankly am creeped out by all the millions of words that have been
devoted to the SWP. At some point (it is starting to seem), the SWP will
not be what it is today. It will be a shell of itself, if not worse. At
that point the CPGB comrades are going to have to go do some
soul-searching to see what they are all about. Blasting the SWP will not
lead to a revolution in Britain.