[Marxism] So what the fuck was Humphrey Bogart doing in North Africa anyhow?

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Sat Jan 19 15:44:38 MST 2013

Back in the late 50s the only way you could see a movie on television
was to turn on the CBS network. With the Early Show, the Late Show, and
the Late Late Show, you got to see just the kinds of films that are the
staple of the Turner Classic Movie cable station today. Today I stumbled
across a TCM screening of the 1943 “Sahara”, one my favorite movies from
way back when. Written by CP’er John Howard Lawson and starring Humphrey
Bogart as a tank commander in Libya during WWII, I always felt like
standing up and cheering when the dirty Nazis surrendered to the
outnumbered allies, a small band of men assembled from the “united
nations” fending off Nazism. There was a Brit, a Frenchie, some Yanks, a
North African, and an Italian prisoner who eventually gave up his life
to help his captors. Like most CP’ers in Hollywood, Lawson really knew
how to spin a tale that would get people rallying around the stars and
stripes.

The only problem was figuring out what the hell Humphrey Bogart was
doing in North Africa. After reading chapter seventeen of James
Heartfield’s “Unpatriotic History of World War Two”, a book that I would
nominate for Isaac Deutscher Prize of 2013 if I were on the jury, I will
never able to see “Sahara” in the same light.

full:
http://louisproyect.wordpress.com/2013/01/19/so-what-the-fuck-was-humphrey-bogart-doing-in-north-africa-anyhow/