[Marxism] 'Zero Dark Thirty' is the most vile and immoral war film I've seen in years

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Sun Jan 27 16:21:18 MST 2013

http://972mag.com/zero-dark-thirty-is-the-most-vile-and-immoral-war-film-ive-seen-in-years/64872/

By Noam Sheizaf
Published January 27, 2013
'Zero Dark Thirty' is the most vile and immoral war film I've seen in years

“Revenge of the agonized killers” would have been a more appropriate title.

Sometime in the late 1960s, Israeli cinema stopped producing heroic war
stories – the kind of action or drama movies where the protagonist
serves his country, noble against a powerful and cruel enemy. The
quantity of other such works of fiction – in literature, for example –
dropped as well. Which, when you think about it, is kind of weird for a
country that has a war every few years and needs to reinforce its own
ethos. Instead, Israeli popular culture started producing a different
genre – that of the confessions. Here, the protagonists or story-tellers
were usually trying to come to terms with the terrible things they were
forced to do to – by their COs, by politicians or by circumstances, but
never of their own choice. The genre even earned a name: “shooting and
crying. “ It all seemed brave – but it wasn’t, since our heroes never
assumed responsibility for their actions. The real perpetrators were
others: generals, right-wing radicals, fools – and sometimes it was
simply the Arab’s fault. And sure enough, all those groups didn’t make
movies. It was the lefty cultural elites that needed absolution, or at
least explanation for the things they did (with much enthusiasm) –
usually while continuing to do them. Today I would rather have a right
wing that is proud of the occupation than an agonized lefty. You don’t
want to do something, don’t do it. In the left-wing protests in recent
years you can often hear chants of, “don’t shoot, don’t cry – get out of
the territories now,” urging people to take responsibility for their
actions.

Now I must say this – in decades of watching Israeli and international
war cinema, I don’t remember a film as immoral, vile and self-righteous
as Zero Dark Thirty. This narcissistic movie, with all its aesthetic
portraits of torture and assassinations, not only enjoys and fetishizes
the violence it depicts but also justifies and rationalizes it. It is
not – as some more naïve viewers said – a “complicated” or
“controversial” way of promoting “a debate” on torture, but the other
way around. Torture and assassinations are presented as effective though
unpleasant ways of preforming heroic acts. The film completely ignores
collateral damage, the innocents who are killed and abused and the
inherent abuse of power (and think in that context not just about the
acts carried out by the U.S, but also by its allies, in Pakistan for
example), which are part of the argument for conducting warfare within a
different normative and legal framework. But the problem goes even
deeper. Zero Dark Thirty is so self-righteous that it makes the blunt
orientalism of The Hurt Locker actually look good. There, the director
seemed to have understood that some people like “the action” – but we
never saw that kind of emotion in Zero Dark Thirty. After all, no
American would like torture or killings. Bigelow’s portrait people at
war runs contrary to anything we know about human nature and violence
everywhere and at all times. If the director would have shown the sadism
and corruption that comes when you cross certain boundaries, then some
viewers would have felt uncomfortable, and gone home really thinking or
talking about what they saw. But I don’t think the film would have been
such a success in such a case. Holywood is giving Kathryn Bigelow prizes
because she makes Americans feel good about themselves and the wars they
wage.

I am not judging those wars themselves here or even the practices of
torture or extra-judicial killings, but rather the way they are told and
discussed. When you take ZDT and The Hurt Locker together, you
understand that Bigelow actually thinks that in the more than 11 years
of wars in three countries, the sole and only victims were Americans.
This is the worst kind of propaganda, one which is directed at the
bleeding hearts and liberals who seem to enjoy their action flicks with
a sauce of “moral dilemmas” and remorse. Be sure – the old style of war
films were way more honest and moral because they praised the hero’s
actions and therefore assumed at least certain responsibility for them.
Naturally, the Arabs are just as dead in both genres.

UPDATE: I watched The Gatekeepers today, and I will post about it later
this week.