[Marxism] Chris Burford obituary

Jim Farmelant farmelantj at juno.com
Wed May 1 18:18:44 MDT 2013

On Wed, 01 May 2013 16:55:30 -0400 Louis Proyect <lnp3 at panix.com> writes:

> Speaking of figures from the early days of Marxism mailing lists,
> this
> just turned up on Doug's list. Chris could be a very irritating
> figure
> even though he was sincere and well-meaning in his intentions. He
> defended a kind of soft Stalinism that irritated the ortho-Trots to
> no
> end, always from the soothing and platitudinous manner one might
> expect
> from a psychiatrist, which is what he was.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/theguardian/2012/apr/27/chris-burford-obituary

I believe that he had been a member of the old CPGB prior to its
dissolution in the early 1990s.  He was a member of the Democratic Left
organization which sprung out of the eurocommunist wing of the CPGB and
remained involved in the various successor organizations to the
Democratic Left.  He seems to have followed those organizations into
becoming a strong supporter of New Labour.  He was, I recall, an avid
supporter of Al Gore when he ran for POTUS back in 2000.  At the same
time, he was a strong supporter of Sedero Luminoso in Peru.

Jim Farmelant
http://independent.academia.edu/JimFarmelant
www.foxymath.com
Learn or Review Basic Math