[Marxism] Not Even Marxist? Paul M. Heideman examines Chris Taylor's critique of Vivek Chibber

Jeff Goodwin jgoodwin.nyu at gmail.com
Thu May 2 12:45:57 MDT 2013

> On Thu, May 2, 2013 at 2:01 PM, Louis Proyect <lnp3 at panix.com> wrote:
>
> My guess is that the graduate students weaned away from Chatterjee and who
> embrace Chibber's Marxism will end up amounting to the same
> thing--academics publishing in HM or NLR rather than some postcolonial
> journal. What impact that will have on garment shops in Bangladesh is
> anybody's guess.
>
> What impact do the discussions on this list have on garment shops in
Bangladesh? Or Vijay Prashad's posts on Counterpunch? Or Richard Seymour's
blog? Etc., etc.

Some graduate students will get jobs at the Borough of Manhattan Community
College or Cal State Fresno, where a good number of students are working
class and immigrants. Would you rather they teach Marxism and try to show
how Marxist theory actually illuminates what's going on factories in
Bangladesh, or should they teach subaltern studies and argue that those who
apply Marxist theories to Bangladesh are Eurocentric?

P.S. Edward Said's work is beyond Marxist criticism? Really?