[Marxism] Argentina: No member of parliament or state official should earn more than a teacher! (Raul Godoy)

Juan Andres Gallardo juanagallardo at gmail.com
Thu May 2 15:11:05 MDT 2013

Argentina
No member of parliament or state official should earn more than a teacher!

by : Raúl Godoy (PTS member, Zanon worker and Provincial Deputy in Neuquén
province, Argentina)
Wednesday 1 May 2013

*By Raúl Godoy (PTS member, Zanon worker and Provincial Deputy in Neuquén
province, Argentina)*

*Translated by Nicolás Bona*

On April 21, the Left and Workers’ Front submitted a bill in the Neuquén
provincial parliament proposing that no member of parliament or state
official should earn more than a teacher with 20 years’ service. Today, a
provincial deputy earns around 35,000 Argentinean pesos per month including
expenses, while a teacher with 20 years’ service earns 5,600 Argentinean
pesos per month – the average monthly shopping basket in Neuquén is more
than 10,000 Argentinean pesos.

A press conference was called by the Left Front, which was attended by the
leaders of the provincial teachers’ union ATEN and the provincial ceramic
trade union. The bill was endorsed by the general secretary of ATEN, Daniel
Huth. Campaigners collected hundreds of signatures in support of the bill,
mainly from teachers, in the space of a week. There were considerable
political and media repercussions, not just in Neuquén but in other
provinces, and even in other countries.

As I have stated elsewhere, “this project is a key policy of the Left
Front. In our electoral campaign we pledged that if elected we would take
home no more than the average worker’s wage. We are keeping that promise
because we believe that there should not be privileged wages on the one
hand and starvation wages on the other. Let the deputies explain why they
earn six, seven and even eight times more than a teacher!”