[Marxism] Letter from Italy: While the old is dying, the new cannot be born

Carl G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Tue May 7 21:10:29 MDT 2013

The coverage of Italian politics in the English-language press is condescending - verging on racist - and as a result consistently gets the story wrong.

"...a political circus that started two months ago when the general election resulted in a stalemate," indeed. Couldn't the last US & UK elections be described as patronizingly?

But in fact, the salient point about the February elections is that Italians voted against austerity, insofar as they could. Berlusconi - who's not stupid and not just the lecherous clown depicted in our press - did well because he pointedly and specifically ran against Monti's austerity (by picking out a regressive tax and promising to do away with it). Meanwhile, the party that should have opposed austerity, the PD, didn't do so, and was destroyed. The Grillini specifically attacked austerity and so did very well.

The explicitly anti-austerity elements - Grillo's 5SM & Vendola's SEL - make up the opposition, but Letta's government knows hat it must oppose austerity, and - in spite of what one reads in the FT - is doing so (or at least saying so). They know that if they don't, they'll be overwhelmed by the opposition (perhaps including an even more anti-austerity Berlusconi, who knows where the bodies are buried...).

--CGE