[Marxism] Assad's backers on the left are ignoring reality

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Wed May 8 23:34:37 MDT 2013

On 5/9/13 1:01 AM, Lester Schonbrun wrote:
> Two Thoughts on Syria.
>
> 1. The media coverage of Syria is strikingly similar to coverage of Iraq
> before our “leaders” invaded that country, similar to Chile before the CIA
> sponsored the coup and murder of Allende, similar to Panama before we
> bombed them, ditto Libya, and I could name many more.  In those cases,
> there was an intense zeroing in on “human rights” violations.  That focus
> was a precursor to US aggression.  How is this different?

Of course there is a difference. The NY Times and the Washington Post
have an article almost every single day of the week decrying the
"jihadists" in Syria. If I were a reporter at either of these
newspapers, I surely would have been able to make a distinction between
Allende, whose main problem was failing to rein in the bourgeois press,
and Qaddafi or al-Assad who would have had a student thrown in prison,
tortured, or killed for starting a newspaper on campus that called for
multiparty elections. In Chile there were "human rights violations". In
Libya and Syria, there were and are human rights violations. We have a
big problem in the US left that some people can't tell the difference
between a scumbag like Bashar al-Assad and Salvador Allende, who was one
of the great social democratic leaders of the past 50 years.

> 2. Why do we save characterizations like “bloodthirsty” for leaders of
> other countries, when our leaders have shed more blood than all others
> combined?

I don't know what else to call somebody who uses Scud missiles against
working class tenements. Take a look at this and tell me if the term
does not apply.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ua7vVISyyDI