[Marxism] SWP madness

DW dwaltersmia at gmail.com
Sat May 11 11:18:20 MDT 2013

I never met *anyone* outside the narrow Marxist movement who was down on
owning a home. If you want to jump into the realm of truly counter-cultural
'positions', try to explain to a working class person why they shouldn't
own a home or an apartment.

It's basically true that home ownership 'conservatizes' the owner, but this
is very simplistic. Half the membership of Local 574 during the Minneapolis
Teamster Strikes in 1934 owned homes (Minneapolis in the 1930s had the
highest number of working class home owners in teh US). It didn't seem to
hold back their radicalization one iota. It maybe made them more radical.

As we in fact live under capitalism the advantages to home ownership are
immense from a tax point of view. Any worker would be a *fool* to not try
to get a home they own. The fact that there are many workers who have to
rent doesn't mean that there is something wrong with those that do. It's
like owning a car in Los Angeles or most mid-western cities. Maybe it is a
sign of 'The Privileged', but one held by the great majority of working
class people.

Half of all working people own their homes. Good.