[Marxism] From an interview with Vivek Chibber's bête noire

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Sat May 11 14:14:51 MDT 2013

 From an interview with Ranajit Guha by Milinda Banerjee in 2010. The
full interview is here:
http://www.sai.uni-heidelberg.de/history/download/ranajit_guha_interview_2.2.11.pdf

MB: Have you always been so ideologically churned by Tagore and by
Bengali literary culture, or is it something which has become important
in your mature years?

RG: I had engaged with these in my youth as well, though these issues
then were not so apparently visible. Rather, what I felt more explicitly
was my passion for social justice for the poor, and Marxism was
therefore attractive. Coming from a khas taluqdar [a class of landlords
who were technically not zamindars, but who, like zamindars, paid
revenue directly to the State in colonial Bengal] family of Barisal in
East Bengal, I had witnessed the structure of zamindar-praja [the
Permanent Settlement of 1793 bestowed property rights on land in Bengal
to a class of people termed the zamindars. Below the zamindars were
their ‘prajas’ or‘subjects’ who cultivated their land and paid them
rent] relations in rural society, which left a profound impression on
me. In my student days at Presidency College, Calcutta, I became a
Marxist, and a member of the Communist Party. In the late 1940s, I spent
a considerable part of time in Europe involved in Communist Party work.
However, I also gradually started getting alienated from doctrinaire
Communist Party Marxism. Experiences of the USSR’s handling of the
political situation in Eastern Europe, disenchantment with the Communist
Party of India’s internal factional squabbles for power, and finally the
Soviet invasion of Hungary, made me decide to leave the Communist Party.
Later, I became something of a Naxalite intellectual. I still consider
myself to have been inspired by Charu Mazumdar’s ideas which, I think,
contain a lot of validity. But Charu Mazumdar [The foremost intellectual
and political leader of the ‘ultra-left’ Naxalite movement which erupted
in West Bengal in the late 1960s, spread to the rest of the India, and
continues to be the founding moment of the Maoist peasant insurgency of
the present day] and his followers were weak in organizational
capability, which resulted in the movement being crushed. I have
elsewhere condemned the role of some intellectuals in Indira Gandhi’s
period who supported her moves to crush the revolt and praised many of
her activities, for instance, the running of trains on time during the
Emergency.

The doctrinaire Marxism of the Indian Communist Party was poor in
appreciation of real Marxist philosophy. They had a very simplistic
understanding of Marxism and most of them had not read the original
books. The disenchantment with this doctrinaire Marxism provoked me to
explore the philosophical complexities of Marx, which in turn led me to
Hegel. Hegel has tremendously inspired me.

[Maybe Guha should be read out of the Marxist movement for hailing
Hegel, but then again Lenin studied Hegel at the outbreak of WWI to
figure out what went wrong in the social democracy. But we can’t have
that, can we?]