[Marxism] Assad's backers on the left are ignoring reality

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Mon May 13 13:53:02 MDT 2013

On 5/13/13 3:38 PM, Dan Weiner wrote:
> But I remember deamonization of Col. Qaddhafi all the way back in the
> eighties when Reagan made his ridiculous claims about a team of Libyan
> hitmen dispatched to the US.
> Anywayone remember, what fond memories of Mr. Reagan and his extravegant
> statements, like his Evil Empire statement at the speech of Evangelicals in
> Orlando, my howmetown.--smile.

Exactly.

But that demonization came to an end after he agreed to American demands
over compensating the victims of Lockerbie and to cancel development of
WMD's (not that there was such any efforts to begin with.) Not long
after smoothing things over with the West, he embarked on a neoliberal
economic road just like the kind that Bashar al-Assad had embraced. The
bottom line is that from that point onward, the demonization was
suspended. It began again after the rebels looked like they might win.
Then the West rediscovered that Qaddafi was a bad guy. As Henry
Kissinger once said, "America has no permanent friends or enemies, only
interests."