[Marxism] There is a huge surplus - in the hands of the rich

Gary MacLennan gary.maclennan1 at gmail.com
Tue May 14 17:00:40 MDT 2013

I was hoping John would post something on the Australian situation. I feel
that we are in a period here in Oz that I would nominate as "zombie
politics".  The people of Australia will in September vote in a right wing
government that will plunge head first into austerity economics and
politics.  Eyes wide open millions will go to the ballot and vote in the
butchers.  The media of course are largely doing the herding of the masses
into the booths.

Yet we have a situation where the personal fortune of just one capitalist,
Gina Reinhart, is bigger than the government's budget deficit.

So a right wing Labor government will make way for a more right wing
conservative coalition. There is an unreal air about it all.  The Labor
Party have clearly given up.  The only question is over the size of their
coming defeat. I personally am betting on a tsunami that will devastate
them.

At the heart of it all is the Labor Party's embrace of neo-liberalism with
an at times slower tempo than that practised by the conservatives.  The
Labor treasurer stupidly bought into the crap about the budget deficit
begin harmful.  He promised a surplus but the captialist class did not pay
their taxes and the result was a deficit.

We are though not dealing with "a failure to communicate".  It is not that
the Labor Party have not got the message out.  Rather they have embraced
the centre and the right to such an extent that there is little difference
between the major political parties.  As a consepolitics have made way for
aesthetics and the people are bored with them.  "Time for a change" is now
the slogan.