[Marxism] Wed. 5/22: "Why Do Popular Movements Vanish?"

seth weiss weiss_seth at hotmail.com
Thu May 16 19:45:56 MDT 2013

Why
Do Popular Movements Vanish?

                                          And Do They Have
To?

Marxist-Humanist
Initiative invites you to a two-part exploration of the recent history of
failed revolts, and the questions they raise for the future.

Wednesdays
May 22 and
June 26 at 7:00 p.m.

You
can attend in person: Pearl
Studios, 500 Eighth Avenue (35-36 Streets), Manhattan, Room 403

Or
by telephone: write us to obtain the conference call number, or for other
information: mhi at marxisthumanistinitiative.org

Why
do popular movements fail and die? Is the problem as simple as their not having
the “right ideas” or the “right form of organization,” as many people say--both
vanguardists and anarchists? We don’t think so.  As Hegel said, all beginnings are defective; the problem is
not that radical movements don’t immediately succeed, but that the lack of
immediate success causes them to vanish instead of reorganize. This “stopping
dead” results from lack of a concept and process for collective review,
re-thinking, and re-direction, i.e., the lack of objective grounds from which
new beginnings in thought and activity can arise.

We
will look at the facts and implications of some high points and vanishings of
mass movements in the 1960s (such as the near-revolution in France in 1968),
the 1980s (the multi-million strong anti-nuke movement), and 2000s (the
anti-war and Occupy movements).
And we will face the questions raised by their trajectories. Eschewing
romantic defeatism, we will try to learn some lessons for the future.

Speakers
will include veterans of 50 years of movement struggles—those of us who want to
work out what the 20th century philosopher Raya Dunayevskaya termed
“new beginnings that determine the end.”

People
attending should check our web journal, “With Sober Senses” http://www.marxisthumanistinitiative.org/our-publication
for a list of recommended readings.