[Marxism] New from Verso - REBEL CITIES: FROM THE RIGHT TO THE CITY TO THE URBAN REVOLUTION by David Harvey

VersoMail Verso Versomail at verso.co.uk
Fri May 17 06:48:43 MDT 2013

REBEL CITIES: FROM THE RIGHT TO THE CITY TO THE URBAN REVOLUTION
by David Harvey

-----------------------------------

NEW IN PAPERBACK

Published May 2013

-----------------------------------

Rousing manifesto on the city and the commons from the acclaimed theorist.

Long before Occupy, cities were the subject of much utopian thinking. They are the centers of capital accumulation as well as of revolutionary politics, where deeper currents of social and political change rise to the surface. Do the financiers and developers control access to urban resources or do the people? Who dictates the quality and organization of daily life?

REBEL CITIES places the city at the heart of both capital and class struggles, looking at locations ranging from Johannesburg to Mumbai, from New York City to S?o Paulo. Drawing on the Paris Commune as well as Occupy Wall Street and the London Riots, Harvey asks how cities might be reorganized in more socially just and ecologically sane ways-and how they can become the focus for anti-capitalist resistance.

-----------------------------------

"Whose streets? Our streets! In REBEL CITIES David Harvey shows us how we might turn this slogan into a reality. That task-and this book-could hardly be more important." - Benjamin Kunkel, author of INDECISION and a founding editor of N+1

"David Harvey provoked a revolution in his field and has inspired a generation of radical intellectuals." - Naomi Klein

"Challenging and timely." - RED PEPPER<http://www.redpepper.org.uk/cities-of-struggle/>

"Forensic and ferocious." - Owen Hatherley, GUARDIAN<mailto:http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2012/apr/12/owen-hatherley-rebel-cities-harvey>

"Harvey's clarion demand [is] that it is "we", not the developers, corporate planners, or political elites, who truly build the city, and only we who can seize back our right to its control." - Jonathan Moses, OPEN DEMOCRACY

"Intellectuals in the Occupy movement [will] appreciate Rebel Cities' descriptions of the historic and international parallel of urban struggles to reclaim public space and build culture, and be intrigued by Harvey's musings on how to grow a lively, resilient revolutionary anticapitalist movement." - Publisher's Weekly

"A consistent intelligent voice of the left." - Edwin Heathcote, FINANCIAL TIMES<mailto:http://www.ft.com/cms/s/2/8e94264e-7367-11e1-aab3-00144feab49a.html%23axzz2TYHIWRvu>

-----------------------------------
"Why aren't the Left thinking about what the hell's going on?" - an interview with David Harvey in ICON magazine:

<http://www.versobooks.com/blogs/1155-why-aren-t-the-left-thinking-about-what-the-hell-s-going-on-david-harvey-meets-icon-magazine>
http://www.versobooks.com/blogs/1155-why-aren-t-the-left-thinking-about-what-the-hell-s-going-on-david-harvey-meets-icon-magazine

-----------------------------------

ISBN: 9781781680742 / Paperback / $16.95 / ?9.99 / $18.50CAN / 208 Pages

For more information on REBEL CITIES or to buy the book visit:
http://www.versobooks.com/books/1171-the-future-as-cultural-fact

Visit Verso's website for information on our upcoming events, new reviews and publications and special offers: http://www.versobooks.com<https://red002.mail.emea.microsoftonline.com/owa/redir.aspx?C=da4b27451a1c45a893588ecb9e6f48f3&URL=http%3a%2f%2fwww.versobooks.com>

Sign up for the Verso mailing list:
https://www.versobooks.com/users/sign_up

Become a fan of Verso on Facebook
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Verso-Books/205847279448577<https://red002.mail.emea.microsoftonline.com/owa/redir.aspx?C=da4b27451a1c45a893588ecb9e6f48f3&URL=http%3a%2f%2fwww.facebook.com%2fpages%2fVerso-Books%2f205847279448577>

And get updates on Twitter too!
http://twitter.com/VersoBooks<https://red002.mail.emea.microsoftonline.com/owa/redir.aspx?C=da4b27451a1c45a893588ecb9e6f48f3&URL=http%3a%2f%2ftwitter.com%2fVersoBooks>