[Marxism] Counterpunch at a new sexist low, still digging

Colin West colingwest at mac.com
Sat May 18 06:47:01 MDT 2013

On May 17, 2013, at 11:46 PM, Clay Claiborne wrote:

> If Ruth Fowler's whole critique rests on how expensive the tests
> are, it
> will soon find itself along side the complaint that color TV is too
> expensive for the working man.

(Ooops. Hit send before I meant to)

I suppose you could read it that way but I saw it as a critique of the
health insurance/industry.

Assuming the test costs about $3000 how many women could afford it?
And if it comes back s positive will insurance cover the cost of a
double mastectomy? If not, how much will that cost and who can afford
it? The same goes for the reconstructive surgery that follows. When I
didn't have medical insurance and had torn my left meniscus disc the
doctor offered a deal of $2000. The hospital wanted 10,000 for the OR
and that was around 1995.

I don't believe it's correct to compare the costs to a color TV; more
like a Bentley.