[Marxism] Geneva Conference

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Tue May 21 06:26:59 MDT 2013

On 5/20/13 10:28 PM, Carl G. Estabrook wrote:
> "But not for - guess who? - Qatar and Turkey. Qatar dreams of a rival
> pipeline from its North field (contiguous with Iran's South Pars
> field), through Saudi Arabia, Jordan, Syria and finally Turkey (which
> bills itself as the privileged energy transit hub between East and
> West). Final destination: once again, Western Europe.

Pepe Escobar is the epitome of what is referred to here:

Whereas the smaller bloc of the left has hardened its old positions, as
if nothing happened after the end of the Cold War, and with time its
attitudes and methods became of the same nature as that of the
Taliban-Jihadis or dogmatic closed-minded sectarians, or even that of
terrorist “Bin Ladenites,” in its blind defiance of the West, global
capitalism (a global capitalism that Russia and China are now a part of)
and imperialism. This bloc from the left, in the Arab world and
internationally, is today the most hostile to the Syrian revolution and
the closest to defending the tyrannical military-security-familial
regime using several arguments, not least of which is that the entire
world plotted, apparently, against this regime that is peace-loving and
stable. This type of leftist emphasizes “the game of nations” and
“geopolitical analysis,” with stories of collision of interests and
plans of the great powers and their dominance in our region, and does
not want to view the revolution in Syria through anything other than
through this lens, and neglects all that happens inside Syria and to
Syria’s revolutionaries today, as well as ignoring all the reasons that
led its people to a peaceful revolution, and later to taking up arms in
the face of a “nationalist” tyranny that is allied with this kind of
leftist. In other words, this leftist has no problem with sacrificing
Syria if it leads to a victory being handed to their international camp
and “geopolitics” that wants a global victory in the “game of nations.”
Their first priority is not Syria or its people in revolt to restore the
republic, their freedom, and their dignity, but the game of nations at
the global level of analysis and the side that they want to win.

full: http://therepublicgs.net/2013/04/27/interview-with-dr-sadiq/