[Marxism] Iran Hangs on in Quiet Desperation » CounterPunch: Tells the Facts, Names the Names

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Wed May 22 18:04:36 MDT 2013

On 5/22/13 7:51 PM, Carl G. Estabrook wrote:
> Have you seen a better analysis of the Iranian election in the
> English language press? And I don't think it can be called
> 'Islamophobic.'

I haven't checked my Iranian Marxist sources but I think they would have
much more to say than Escobar who reminds me of a leftist P.J. O'Rourke.

> It was certainly true of last year's US presidential election that
> the only thing that really mattered was the right of the American
> people to vote for candidates who they chose and not those
> hand-picked for them by the neoliberal parties.
>
> But wasn't there more to be said?  --CGE

In fact the USA has formal democracy. We are still in a dictatorship of
capital but the possibility of running anti-systemic candidates is a
hard-won right. It allowed the Mayor of New Paltz, a Green, to push
through gay marriage. It allowed our good friend John Halle when he was
a Green Party alderman in New Haven to raise all sorts of hell.

This is not to speak of the right to protest, to write a newspaper with
unpopular views, or to circulate a petition. Iranians deserve those
rights, just as the people of Syria, Egypt and Yemen do. If all we care
about in Iran is that supports Hizbollah and weakens Israel, etc., we've
lost track of what mattered to Lenin. Lenin was fighting for a
*bourgeois* democratic-revolution in Czarist Russia. Let's never forget
that.